The design is based around a Broadcom BCM2835 SoC, which includes an ARM1176JZF-S 700 MHz processor, VideoCore IV GPU, and 512 Megabytes of RAM. This revision B+ board features four mounting holes for easy installation, a built-in reset circuit, and can be powered via the USB data ports. The design does not include a built-in hard disk or solid-state drive, instead relying on an microSD card for booting and long-term storage. This board is intended to run Linux kernel based operating systems.
The Raspberry Pi uses Linux-kernel based operating systems. The Raspberry Pi does not come with a real-time clock, so an OS must use a network time server, or ask the user for time information at boot time to get access to time and date info for file time and date stamping. However a real time clock (such as the DS1307) with battery backup can be easily added via the I2C interface.
- Processor: ARM 700Mhz CPU
- USB: Four USB 2.0 Ports
- Ethernet: 10/100 Ethernet Port
- Video Output: HDMI and Composite
- Sound: L/R Stereo
- Memory: 512MB Ram
- Operating System: Uses microSD card slot to load O/S
- Digital interfaces: 2 onboard ribbon slots for Camera and Display
- GPIO: 40 GPIO pins, backwards compatible to B board